I seem to have a hard time with this, and I’m too cheap to buy this tool:
(I’m also not entirely sure how effective it would be…I’ve heard mixed reviews). Anyway…the best thing I’ve found so far is from this post by user Syscrush on SVRider:
What I like to do is tighten the left adjuster first until the chain tension is right, then put a straightedge on the sprocket and tighten the right adjuster until the face of the straightedge that’s against the sprocket lines up with the inside edge of the inner sideplates on the chain.
Seemed to work well for me….better than other methods I’ve tried, anyway.